Thursday, December 20, 2012

Here's a new destination for your golf bucket list: North Korea



On a cloudless morning, 15 miles west of the North Korean capital, I stepped onto the first tee of Pyongyang Golf Course and peered down the fairway of a punishing par 4, with water right, thick woods left and white stakes standing sentinel on either side. A warm wind whipped off Taicheng Lake, ruffling the flagsticks and rattling my focus. Or maybe I was shaken by the wayward shots I'd seen. My playing partner, a hungover Mongolian, had just pumped his Titleist into the pines, following a trail blazed by earlier groups, which featured, among others, a wild-swinging Finn; a Filipino with a flying right elbow; and a New Zealander who'd left what game he had in his adoptive home of China, where he ran a factory that produced edible underwear.

"Now on the tee..." a voice announced in a posh British accent, a formal touch to what was otherwise a hackfest.

Cameras whirred behind me, capturing the moment for state-run TV.

Read more: http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/north-korean-open-josh-sens-explores-golf-secretive-country#ixzz2FdJPEDe9

No comments:

Post a Comment